Hi chrisfriedt,

I have the same issue on Ubuntu 14.04 host.

I found this issue on VM created with an older version of vmware player
(version 5.0.x) that generate VMs in version "Workstation 6.5-7.x
virtual machines". This issue is still present even if I use these VMs
with the lastest version of vmware player.

According to my tests, VMs created with the lastest version of vmware
player are in version "Workstation 10.0 virtual machines" and don't have
this issue.

So, I think this issue is related to the version of the VM. So among
people who have this issue, it may be useful to know the version of
their VMs in order to reproduce the problem.

For example, about the question on
https://communities.vmware.com/message/2388776, dominicus said "This
install has been stable for >2yrs, but after some Ubuntu updates today,
my screen now boots into 3 repeated and truncated panes." so he must
have a VM with an older version.

I will try to perform tests that you noticed me and keep you informed.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-vmware in Ubuntu.

  VMware guest video broken by the 3.2.0.64 kernel update