Oh dear...

It seems like we're narrowing it down at least, but it definitely seems
to be limited to older VMWare versions and possibly only Windows hosts.

@cedricg91 would you be able to follow up with Thomas Hellstrom's
request for a VM image? In fact, would you be able to just put it up
publically via FTP, because I'd certainly like to test this out myself.

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2398248#2398248

Also, for anyone who has experienced this issue, would you please post
your exact VMware Player version, I guess the VMware .vmx file version,
and possibly also your host OS?

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-vmware in Ubuntu.

  VMware guest video broken by the 3.2.0.64 kernel update