I am also affected by this bug. Note that this behaviour is inconsistent with
the manual description of the AreaBottomEdge Option which states :
 " Ignore movements, scrolling and tapping which take place below this edge.
The option is disabled by default and can be enabled by setting the
AreaBottomEdge option to any integer value other than zero. Property:
"Synaptics Area"  "

However tapping is not completely ignored in this area because if I rest
my index finger in this area the touch is recognized and I am unable to
move the cursor with my middle finger. This makes text highlighting or
other click and drag options impossible for me.

[1] http://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.5/doc/man/man4/synaptics.4.html

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Option "AreaBottomEdge" ignores other areas when active