This bug was affecting me under these specific circumstances:

Ubuntu 13.10 - all updates applied
Hardware: HP Elitebook 8440p (Video is NVIDIA NVS 3100M graphics)
Problem seemed more prevalent when laptop was under load and was getting hot,
almost like a CPU thermal shutdown issue..

This problem has stabalised for me since upgrading to 14.04, and have
not had an issue since..

Regardless of new report policy for this site... I'm not sure if the
mods here are aware, but this page is top hit in Google search for this
problem, this is why everyone is posting here...

  Ubuntu 13.10 random screen freeze while Normal OS activites