Before installing the x-staging ppa
===========================
Both  packages you listed (libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 & libgl1-mesa-glx:i386) are
already installed. The package manager doesn't complain about corrupted
packages, so I guess there is no problem. Starting Steam with my hardware
configuration and the default 14.10 packages still crashes the session.

After adding and installing the x-staging ppa
===================================
I was able to click on the Steam icon without the session crashing. The Steam
client updated itself – as expected – and prompted me for my login credentials.
Additionally this warning popped up:
>> OpenGL GLX context is not using direct rendering, which may cause
>> performance problems.
>> For more information visit
>> https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9938-EYZB-7457

As advised on the Steam website I installed mesa-utils:i386 and executed
glxinfo (output is attached).

** Attachment added: "glxinfo_output.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1335072/+attachment/4169932/+files/glxinfo_output.txt

  Xorg crashed with SIGABRT