I have very similar problem on Solaris with Radeon card and driver.

I realize this bug is not for Solaris, but this is the only other
reference I could find... and I am also a Ubuntu user ;)

I restarted my X session to open an xterm only. I was scared it could be a
low-level driver bug
but then, it worked. so its only gnome related.

from that xterm, I could launch metacity and gnome-panel fine...

but as soon as I try to launch gnome-session, X crashed.

has the gnome team been advised for this bug?

gnome version is 2.30.2
videocard is ATI, not nvidia

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  10de:0421 X crashes with gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11