I agree that this bug should be a higher priority.  I have a cluster
built on Quad CPU SuperMicro H8QME2 motherboards with hex-core Opteron
CPUs .  With 12.04LTS, the motherboard ATI graphics worked fine as the
machines are BOINC number crunchers.  The motherboards also have NVIDIA
Telsa GPU co-processor boards for GPU number crunching, which I have not
been able to get working for several weeks  since upgrading to 14.04LTS.
They all worked fine with 12.04 LTS, but this "new feature" of 14.04 LTS
is absurd.

I could not figure out what was happening the xorg.conf files.  I have
to load the NVIVIDA drivers for  CUDA/OPENCL  processing to work, but
needed the display to be active on the motherboard ATI graphics , as
these  Telsa cards are strictly for crunching and have no display output
capability.  This "new feature" kept forcing the systems to try to
display to a screen attached to the TESLA cards.

If the problem can't be fixed easily, an simple work-around for users
should be provided until the problem can be fixed.

Greg

  xorg.conf overwritten by booting system