(sorry for my English)
I experience this issue on Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 with updated kernels
(3.2.0-67-generic and 3.13.0-30-generic) and different DE's.
I'm on a vCenter environment so I don't use vmPlayer. I use vSphere Client
5.5.0 build 1474107 on vCenter Server 5.5.0 build 1476327. My VM's are running
on a cluster of two esx hosts with wmWare proprietary OS.
I confirm that downgrading the vmwgfx.ko driver (to 3.2.0-61 in my case) as
described on http://askubuntu.com/a/498749 solves the problem.
For me another solution is upgrading virtual hardware (accessible from the VM
menu of the VM console when the VM is not powered on) that increments the
virtualHW.version value of the vmx file from 7 to 9.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-vmware in Ubuntu.

  VMware guest video broken by the 3.2.0.64 kernel update