I could use the Koala Karmic until Alpha 3 version. After an update around 2 or
3 September and could not return to the desktop. At the password screen, write
the password, but could not enter, the screen stayed black and went back to the
password screen.
Until then everything worked, except 3D acceleration graphics card. The
"Palimset" constantly told me that one of my hard drives is damaged, something
also happened when I used the Fedora Live disk but the disk is working
properly. The same indication of failed hard drive, I get an Acer Aspire One
mini laptop where if I could get into the meeting with the desktop version of
KK Alpha 5. Moreover Alpha 3 version worked properly.

Now with the Alpha 5 version, I can not enter the desktop using the Live CD,
the system freezes on the startup screen, using the version of 32bit and 64bit,
in the two is the same. It freezes the screen and the system does not boot.

I have not installed the Alpha 5 version because it probably occurs as with the
Live Cd.

Here is frozen:

http://ubuntulife.wordpress.com/2009/08/27/el-nuevo-boot-splash-de-
ubuntu-9-10/

My system:
CPU: Quad Core 6600 2.40ghz
5gb Ram x 800mhz kingston
Motherboard: Asus P5K-E WIFI-AP EDITION
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA2 7200.12
HDD: Seagate 320GB SATA 2 7200.9
Gainward ATI 4870 512MB DDR5
Monitor: LG L192WS

Ubuntu 9.04 works correctly until today.

GNOME 2.26.1 (Ubuntu 2009-05-06)
Linux 2.6.28-15-generic
x86_64

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-ati (Ubuntu)

--
Karmic Koala Alpha 5. Desktop does not start, freezes the boot screen
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/428365