Ubuntu 14.04 here, Radeon HD 8490.  The bug has bit me once (fail to
wake up from DPMS screen off).  What happens frequently is that, with
DPMS on (I use "xset dpms 0 0 600"), it behaves for a while, then keeps
blanking the screen so often that it becomes unusable.  I also have
"xset -s" (no screensaver).  If I do "xset -dpms" then the machine is
fine but of course the display stays on.   I use i3wm, am not using any
desktop environment that would blank the screen for me.  I have now
generated an xorg.conf as suggested in the previous comment, and will
wait and see how it does.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  FGLRX DPMS support totally broken, fails to wake up the monitor after
  putting it to sleep.