I just realized that when trying to set display brightness in "Power Management
Preferences" to some levels also triggers the
fluxuating.

In my case e.g. 87% causes brightness to constantly switch betwen 80 and
90%.

:/proc/acpi/video/IGD/LCD$ cat brightness
levels:  20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
current: 80 (-> 70 -> 80 ...)

Also when already at 100% and hitting the raise brightness key again
does sometimes start the fluxuating or just throws it back to the next
lower level.

No backlight output in xrandr --verbose though.

--
[i945gme] brightness fluxuates wildly on KMS (karmic)
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.