By clicking and dragging at the desktop, I found another interesting
observation:

Mouse clicks are translated in the following way:
* Y coordinate is always correct.
* X coordinate is only correct if I click on the right edge of U3011 display -
then it is mapped to the right edge of the U3011 display.
* If I click near the left edge of U3011 display, but not the launcher, the
click is applied to the object displayed at the left edge of the builtin
display.
* Wherever I click at the builtin display (which doesn't display the launcher,
BTW), the result of the click is not visible (I don't know where it goes).

Knowing this I managed to move windows and open Ubuntu display settings,
which are correct. Resolutions and displays relative positions are
correct.

I also manged to display a context menu and, *surprise*, it is rendered
correctly (no stretching).

To summarize:
- top status bar and menus at the right top corner: OK
- context menus: OK
- launcher: renders OK and operational on U3011, but not displayed on builtin
screen
- wallpaper: stretched horizontally across both screens
- windows: stretched horizontally across both screens

I guess the problem with mouse clicks is not that mouse events are
broken, but the content of the screen is painted in wrong place. So what
was to be painted only on U3011 was stretched and painted on both, and
that's why it got out of sync with mouse.

  Desktop/windows painted incorrectly in dual monitor configuration