I applied that patch to Ubuntu Trusty 3.13.0-38.65, and it gives a huge
improvement. X no longer crashes on startup, and 3D acceleration works.

However I also get the glitchy noise a few times a second, except when
showing a static image. It is all over the screen, and sometimes appears
as triangles.

Running glxgears and Firefox at the same time also starts giving errors
in the kernel log pretty quickly.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  System hangs after some time with nouveau and GT240