Peter Hutterer, thanks for your input on this.

I'll mark this as an enhancement request for now. If the requested
functionality emerges working downstream in Ubuntu via libinput, that
would work for me (and others who have advised of this issue).

Let us keep this report open to track this, and until the functionality
is tested working.

As well, this appears to be a more general issue with clickpads, as it's
reproducible using a Lenovo IdeaPad S415 Touch.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  05ac:0252 Rev 02.19 bcm5974 [MacBookPro9,2] Unable to move mouse via
  touchpad when finger resting on touchpad click button