I'm a little hesitant when it comes to the libxext installation from
Vivid; is there some way to figure out if this is going to break my
package dependencies?

I'm currently on Edgers.  When I try to install the new libxext6, the
version is higher than the one required by my current libxext-dev.  Now,
I can remove my current libxext-dev, but that would also entail removing
these packages:

libatk-bridge2.0-dev libatspi2.0-dev libcairo2-dev libcanberra-gtk3-dev
libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk-3-dev libpango1.0-dev libqt4
-opengl-dev libxcomposite-dev libxext-dev libxi-dev libxinerama-dev
libxrandr-dev libxtst-dev .

My concern is that there might be a cascading problem if I put in the
new libxext6 and libxext-dev from Vivid and then try to reinstall all of
those other packages. I don't want to actually move off of Trusty right
now.

Is there either (1) a more surgical way to get the 1.3.3.1 fix for error
spamming; or (2) a way to check whether my whole package system will be
in tact if I do this big removal and replacement?

  Steam game began crashing 2014-09-12 (cross-post Source bugtracker)