On 11/06/2014 11:37 AM, Walter Lapchynski wrote:
> It appears that this affects a very specific chip. That being said, I
> can't do much to help diagnose this. With that in mind, it would be
> useful to find out exactly what conditions are required for this to
> occur. Is it only that particular package? It should be tested across
> different OS versions and flavors. Also, what other chips this may apply
> to. It's clearly a regression of some kind because it did work, but I
> can't push this upstream without adequate information.
Walter:

Please take into consideration, that while this fix is published, every
user of an affected machine will have their system rendered un-bootable,
even if they specify a prior kernel level.  And this will be observed,
to their great dismay, on trying to reboot after applying system
updates, with the only solution available to them, being to re-install
the system, and don't apply updates.

As such, this is a very serious problem.

I'm sure it only affects certain machines, since I have applied the same
update to my current primary machine (which used newer Intel graphics,
using the same package), and there was no problem.

If there were a way for the fix to be temporarily withdrawn from service
until this problem is resolved, it might save a lot of people a lot of
problems.

--
Sincerely,
Aere

  With the recent update to xserver-xorg-video-intel, system boots to a
  black screen