I tried a system-recovery boot of the '-39' kernel.

I could 'drop to root prompt', and do apt-get commands, but on
attempting that, it complained that it was not using a read-only lock
file, and the apt-get commands would fail because it could not get the
lock.

The root command prompt is in my dvorak keyboard layout, so I can easily
type things.

What do I need to type to remove the latest version of the package
(xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.910-0ubuntu1.2), so it goes back to
using the xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.910-0ubuntu1 version?

If I could do that, I could at least verify that it is this package
version that is causing the problem.  At this point, I am only guessing
that is the culprit.

  With the recent update to xserver-xorg-video-intel, system boots to a
  black screen