Hey Brian,

thanks for your comment. It's been a while since I've reported this bug.
Luckily I've been able to resolve it by switching over to the open-
source radeon drivers. Haven't had a crash of this sort (or any X.org
crash for that matter) for almost a year now!

You said that switching graphics drivers didn't work for you, but the
open-source radeon drivers have come a long way over the past couple of
years. If you are still experiencing this issue on your WM of choice and
holding out on Cinnamon, I'd recommend giving the FOSS drivers another
try.

which is subscribed to xorg-server-lts-raring in Ubuntu.

  Xorg crashes with SIGABRT in pixman_blt() after using Synapse for a
  while