Some status update: I enabled "Don't wait for video sync" and "Force
full screen redraws" from compizconfig. I've not yet experienced the
flickering problem. Before the compizconfig modification the problem was
severe in gnome image viewer, right after rebooting.

I have never seen problems as severe as in Robert's video: for me, the
flickering never occurred between different windows. The flickering
occurred mostly in gnome image viewer and gnome terminal: for example,
when I exited vim, I could see the vim screen still there, painted over
by the command line prompt and the flickering was the same rate as the
cursor blink rate. It was worse in image viewer however, making it
almost unusable.

Even though the flickering happens inside window borders I would still
rate this very severe bug, disabling common out-of-the-box media
functionality.

  Flickering with Ubuntu 14.04 and nvidia card reappeared