I'm not sure about the logs, but I have exactly same symptoms, and while
googling for solution I've came across a handful of other descriptions
of a very similar problem at StackOverflow. Here are the links:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/534883/laptop-screen-goes-black-but-laptop-still-running

http://askubuntu.com/questions/486257/chromium-inspect-element-causes-black-screen
http://askubuntu.com/questions/543790/youtube-causes-black-screen
http://askubuntu.com/questions/547149/since-updating-to-ubuntu-14-04-chromium-causes-black-screen
http://askubuntu.com/questions/540910/ubuntu-screen-goes-black-after-loading-youtube
http://askubuntu.com/questions/541862/black-screen-when-playing-youtube-videos
http://askubuntu.com/questions/508796/ubuntu-14-04-chromium-causes-black-screen

Noticeably most of these questions were posted within last month, and
this corresponds to my own observations - my problem started around
three weeks ago. So this all seems to be related to a recent update.

Btw, I have Ubuntu 14.04 at Dell D630, Chromium 38.0.2125.111 and Unity.

  Graphic driver crash on youtube