And here's X logs from around the same time:
[   520.969] (II) intel(0): resizing framebuffer to 3120x2751
[   521.017] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1920x1200@60.0 on DP1-1 using pipe
0, position (1920, 0), rotation left, reflection none
[   521.420] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1920x1080@60.0 on eDP1 using pipe 1,
position (0, 1671), rotation normal, reflection none
[   522.460] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1920x1200@60.0 on DP1-8 using pipe
2, position (0, 471), rotation normal, reflection none

Something else interesting that I just noticed is that while the 3rd monitor
has no image, it's there as far as X is concerned. Eg, I can mouse over to it,
I can move windows to it with my window manager's shortcuts.

  DisplayPort 1.2 MST support is missing in the Intel driver