Christopher M. Penalver, it is not reproducible if removing the GNOME3
PPA which is what causes this bug to appear to begin with. Also, my
machine requires those kernel prarameters to function correctly with the
backlight, but removing them has no effect except inverting my backlight
controls (0%=100%, etc.). That said, if one is to follow the workaround
in comment #8 above, the problem does go away.

Therefore, I have reason to believe the shadow rendering bug is in
xserver-xorg-video-intel in the repos being an old version. If one were
to backport the newer version, I have reason to believe the bug will be
fixed. This is why I initially filed the bug agains the GNOME3 PPA and
then later xserver-xorg-video-intel and not xorg itself since it's a
single package causing the bug.

I have not tested the newer xserver-xorg-video-intel driver in other
DEs, but would be happy to do so.

  strange shadow rendered where client-side decorations are used