Just of note (not sure if this helps), but I also found that the
xserver-xorg-video-intel driver from the oibaf/graphics-drivers PPA also
fixed an issue I was having with waking the monitor up from standby or
sleep on my machine. Before it was freezing and I'd have to either
reboot or run 'sudo service lightdm restart' to fix the problem. Now,
there's no issue.

So, it seems that the shadow bug triggered by GTK 3.14 and the wake from
sleep issue were both corrected by the driver in that PPA, and not
having to update all of xorg.

Sadly, I cannot point to a specific commit at this time, but I might be
up for bisecting the driver.

  [GNOME3 Staging PPA] strange shadow rendered where client-side
  decorations are used