I can reproduce this issue on a laptop, and the new version ca fix this
issue.

my original env are:
OS: Ubuntu 12.04
Kernel: linux-image-3.13.0-40-generic
Package: xserver-xorg-video-intel-lts-trusty (2:2.99.910-0ubuntu1~precise1)

and after I enabled precise-proposed repo and updated xserver-xorg-
video-intel-lts-trusty to  version 2:2.99.910-0ubuntu1.3~precise1, this
issue was fixed.

changed tag from verification-needed to verification-done

** Tags removed: verification-needed
** Tags added: verification-done

  internal panel brightness set to 0 when switching back to internal-
  only mode