Hello Christopher:
                                   I am afraid that I flubbed the
initial process of updating the bios by making the mistake of (as
advised by hp's update instructions on extracting the dos executable to
restore factory default settings to bios before updating old bios 1.41)
restoring the default bios settings meant that my dual boot system
became dominated by windows before I could even update the bios and I
did not have a backup of the efi boot through the cab extract method.
But after this I was able to flash the bios in the pre boot environment
so that my bios is now updated to 1.47.

     Following this I was unable to reinstall Ubuntu or reinable Grub2
boot in fact it was only by wiping my hard drive (my mistakes have cost
many lost hours ) completely with a gparted cd that I was able to
install Ubuntu again. The bios update has not made any difference in the
accommodating of the error in configuring the 32 inch monitor as if it
was a 37 inch monitor.

      The output from your terminal command was as expected:

J51 v01.47
07/18/2013

but no gain just pain and I have lost my dual boot with windows 8.1 and
days of updates from windows 8, and a lost hauppauge WinTV pvr
configuration that I could never get to work with Linux. Oh well!
Best of the season
John Ellis
On 2014-12-13 04:13 AM, Christopher M. Penalver wrote:
> John Ellis, thank you for reporting this and helping make Ubuntu better. As
> per
> http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5053191&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4060
>  an update to your BIOS is available (1.47). If you update to this following
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BIOSUpdate does it change anything?  If it
> doesn't, could you please both specify what happened, and provide the output
> of the following terminal command:
> sudo dmidecode -s bios-version && sudo dmidecode -s bios-release-date
>
> For more on BIOS updates and linux, please see
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#Bug_reporting_etiquette
> .
>
> Please note your current BIOS is already in the Bug Description, so
> posting this on the old BIOS would not be helpful. As well, you don't
> have to create a new bug report.
>
> Once the BIOS is updated, then please mark this report Status Confirmed.
>
> Thank you for your understanding.
>
> ** Tags added: bios-outdated-1.47
>
> ** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)
>
> ** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

  HP Z210 workstation with nvidia Quadro 600 card thinks 32 inch  sharp
  TV/monitor is 37 inch