This has been frustrating. Mostly happens when opening a new window
especially when it's a pop-up notification. I can't change the font for
my gnome-terminal without this happening. There seems to be something
with X. I have an XFX 750a board, amd phenom 9500, nvidia on-board 8200
video and used every driver known to man... even the official nvidia
drivers and all with the same outcome. Some updates have made it less
frequent but still persists. Anything I can do to help?

--
Jaunty X highly unstable
which is subscribed to xorg-server in ubuntu.