@17: I think that's understandable that not giving enough necessary
packages may make apt do wrong decisions. The upgrade is very complex
package dependency wise so apt needs to be given as much information as
possible so that it's able to do the correct upgrade.

I experienced the same with 12.04 LTS point releases, for example I
needed to add that "libglapi-mesa-lts-xxx" at some point or otherwise I
also experienced apt doing misupgrades I think during 12.04.2 -> 12.04.3
HWE stack or so.

As upgrading HWE stack from command line is an advanced operation, I
think the current situation seems good (and documentable, ie just use
the command I gave for example) aside from the "Provides:" problem
making some packages uninstallable after the upgrade.

which is subscribed to libdrm in Ubuntu.

  Please backport xtrans, libdrm, x11proto-{fonts,core} packages for
  14.04.2