I didn't do a proper bisect, but I have a variety of mainline kernels
from the mainline PPA I tried.

v3.16 works properly
v3.17 some rc's are using ps2 mode due to some i2c failure, others work properly
v3.18 works properly
v3.19-rc1 fails
v3.19-rc5 fails
v3.19-rc6 fails

Whenever someone does a proper bisect, make sure that i2c-hid is loaded
and in use.  it might help to blacklist psmouse to ensure that it
doesn't fall back to psmouse in case of a different failure.  There is a
different problem with psmouse that is not this bug.

Also, make sure that you are NOT booted with acpi_osi="!Windows 2013".
This will cause the touchpad to only run in PS2 mode.  The problem is
specific to I2C mode.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  touchpad does not respond to tap-to-clicks in I2C mode in Ubuntu 15.04
  on 2015 XPS 13 (9343)