I have tried the September 24 snapshot per Robbie Williamson's request.
It does make a difference but not in the way I would like to see. The
splash screen is now black with the Ubuntu logo (circle only) showing in
white in the centre of the screen. After about 15 seconds the screen
changes to just a binking underscore on a black background. If I hit the
enter key at that point I get a console with 'Ubuntu login:' as prompt.

Can you let me know the number of the original bug report if you want to
continue to receive comments there?

--
Karmic Alpha 6 will not boot from Live CD
which is subscribed to xorg in ubuntu.