Status  New
I have updated the BIOS from version 1503 (1-16-13) to version 2501.

Here is the output of your command:

marty@tux:~$ sudo dmidecode -s bios-version && sudo dmidecode -s
bios-release-date
[sudo] password for marty:
2501
04/07/2014
marty@tux:~$

The behavior is unchanged from before the BIOS update.  If I wait until
the system finishes booting and I am on my desktop and attempt to change
the start up color of the keyboard illumination from blue to red, I lose
most mouse left and right click ability on the desktop area.  I can
still click the gear icon and have the system log off and log back on as
long as I don't wait too long.  The longer I wait to attempt the log
off, the less mouse function I have until all it does is move the cursor
around, but nothing is clickable.  The keyboard will still function for
a much longer period of time until everything becomes unresponsive.

My current work around is to change the keyboard color as soon as the
boot process starts to load the Linux kernel.

If I wait until I am on the desktop to change the color, then I must
immediately log off and back on and everything is fine as long as I
don't attempt to change the color again.  Any further changes of
keyboard color require an immediate log off and on to keep the system
stable.

  changing backlight color on saitek eclipse 2 keyboard causes mouse
  failure