Dear Christopher,

Thank you for your suggestion to update the BIOS:   I have done this and
dmidecode now shows BIOS version as 1801, dated 09/10/2010.   I may need
to take my PC apart before testing the results, as I have installed a
new graphics card as a workaround, and I need to remove this before
testing, so please bear with me and I'll update the bug status when I
have done this.
Thanks again for your attention to this.
Simon Lambourn.
On 23/02/15 00:49, Christopher M. Penalver wrote:
> Simon Lambourn, thank you for reporting this and helping make Ubuntu
> better. As per
> http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M3N78VM/HelpDesk_Download/ an update to
> your computer's buggy and outdated BIOS is available (1801). If you
> update to this following https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BIOSUpdate
> does it change anything?
>
> If it doesn't, could you please both specify what happened, and provide the
> output of the following terminal command:
> sudo dmidecode -s bios-version && sudo dmidecode -s bios-release-date
>
> For more on BIOS updates and linux, please see
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#Bug_reporting_etiquette
> .
>
> Please note your current BIOS is already in the Bug Description, so
> posting this on the old BIOS would not be helpful. As well, you don't
> have to create a new bug report.
>
> Once the BIOS is updated, and the information above is provided, then
> please mark this report Status New.
>
> Thank you for your understanding.
>
> ** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)
>
> ** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

  lightdm session constantly switches screen appearance