It froze again today (twice).  After the first time, I killed FF to get
enough memory to run xrestop.  The attached xrestop.out and xtop.out are
from that session.

Then I killed and restarted X, and things ran for a while.  An hour and
a half later, it froze again. I was able to regain partial control by
right-clicking on the FF icon in the bottom panel (if that gives me a
popup, I can then switch to one window and use it.  I can't get to
another window unless I can repeat this process successfully), and I
captured xrestop2.out and top2.out while FF was still running.

These freezes do make the machine next to unusable, unfortunately.

** Attachment added: "xrestop.out"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/32492796/xrestop.out

--
Xorg grabs all of RAM; UI appears frozen
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nv in ubuntu.