I had this problem too with non-working left button mouse(Miscrosoft)
and I found out that the reason was that the mute-button was pressed on
my Microsoft headset. When the headset is muted the button lights up and
the left mouse button pressed and hold down, aka I can use the mute
button to select text by pressing mute, move mouse and press button
again. So my problem is that the mute button of the headset is wrongly
mapped. I guess it should be mapped to the audio mute function. Just
like my Logitech keyboard is. If I suspend my computer and wake it again
the mute button is turned off on my headset and the left button works
again. Also logout and login solves my problem, but the mute button on
the headset is still lit.

So my problem was not the mouse it was the headset that interfered.

I adding lsusb info for my mouse and headset.

** Attachment added: "lsusb for mouse and headset"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/1316873/+attachment/4347846/+files/lsusb.txt

  Left mouse button stops working