> Did you upgrade your kernel Alex? If you did, the GPU should be able to
> properly reset.

The last official kernel released for *ubuntus 14.04 is 3.16 which is no
good for this issue.  If I recall correctly the one needed is 3.19 and
in this case it has to be downloaded from the mainline site and they do
not recommend that.

I don't know whether I should trust it or not.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  [GM965] GPU lockup running OpenGL applications on Dell Vostro 1510