Okay, I'll download a regular Ubuntu 14.04.2 LiveCD and use it to
prepare the diagnostics info. I won't be using a modified BIOS at that
time.

I'm currently switching between the latest official and my custom BIOS.
The latest BIOS 214 is known to have caused similar behavior in WIndows
8.1, and earlier BIOS versions are sheerly unusable because they cause a
shutdown every time AC is unplugged while CPU is under strain (that's
why they had to make the 214 version)

BTW, when running on AC, Kubuntu 14.10 Plasma Next boots some three
seconds faster off an SSD with my modified BIOS, as compared to the
vanilla BIOS. Also no shutdowns so far. Prompts me thinking it was buggy
CPU microcode that under certain conditions provoked abnormal power
consumption peaks / some other undesirable effects that backfied when
running on low battery.

  SNA acceleration causes sudden shutdowns and corrupts CMOS data on the
  the Asus UX21E ultrabook on a wide variety of kernels since at least
  Ubuntu 14.04