I actually found that if I selected UEFI boot instead of legacy boot I
could run the live-usb stick.

I was unable to reproduce the problem when running from the live-usb
when trying out vivid. However it turns out that I cannot reproduce the
issue when running from a live-usb loaded with trusty either. In both
instances I attempted to recreate the problem by rapidly switching users
repeatedly for 5 minutes - when running from my installed system I am
always able to reproduce the issue in less than this amount of time.

When running from my installed system there is always a brief (jarring)
context switch in which the screen temporarily blanks out before coming
back up even when the problem doesn't occur. When running from the live-
usb (trusty or vivid) the transition between users is pretty seamless:
more like a workspace switch.

I'm wondering what the difference is between the live-usb and installed
environments (drivers, configuration, etc.) and if knowing that could
give some insight into fixing the issue.

  [Dell Inspiron 5547] Black Screen on user switch