Here's a short video I recorded for the ASUS Support service. It gives a
good illustration of what happens on Windows 8.1. This is also exactly
what I get with the latest Ubuntu LiveCD.

In the video, I say in Russian: "Now I'm plugging in the AC... Rebooting
the device... And it works perfectly... but only as long as AC is
plugged in. So it goes, guys. Now I'm unplugging AC and this crap will
start all over again"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IP3h3x4CoU

Things are "much better" with SSD-intalled Kubuntu or Lubuntu, with them
this only starts if I get a shutdown at the moment when CPU gets
throttled down to 800 Mhz at 20% battery and only then does CMOS become
scrambled to the point when further shutdowns start coming in dozens in
a totally random fashion until I do a hard CMOS reset.

P.S. I'm currently studying the ACPI Source Language (it has a thousand
pages long manual) but I don't think that a Bachelor of Arts like me
will tackle this issue any time soon. The latest official BIOS comes
with a DSDT table that doesn't compile back after being decompiled, it
gives me about 120 warnings about possible infinite loops, unserialized
methods where a serialized method is expected, and such like things...

  SNA acceleration causes sudden shutdowns and corrupts CMOS data on the
  the Asus UX21E ultrabook on a wide variety of kernels since at least
  Ubuntu 14.04