I just updated my 14.04 install to 3.16.0-37-generic.
And although the occurrence of rendering issues seems to have reduced, they are
still there.

To reproduce easily, open up google earth, do some zooming around in there,
then start doing some alt-tab and moving windows around.
You can see the rendering issues show up pretty quickly.

I'm on an external monitor connected via a dock.

In summary, it's better now than before, but still not fixed completely.

  Graphics unstable on Ubuntu 14.04 and 14.10 using Intel HD Graphics
  5500