Chris, you referred me to this bug as I reported

Bug 90835 - [4.1-rc6] gpu hang: ecode 6:-1:0x00000000, Kicking stuck
semaphore on render ring

I skimmed through it and it appears that there are some patches to test?
But I am not sure which ones these are. Can you or someone else
enlighten me?

Also I note that I still use

        Option          "AccelMethod"   "uxa"

and I have

martin@merkaba:~> cat /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf
options i915 modeset=1 i915_enable_rc6=7

thus maximum energy saving. But according to powertop it never enters
the highest sleep state anyway.

I will remove the AccelMethod setting now and see whether it helps. If
not, I downgrade to 4.1-rc4 for now, as issues have been at least much
less frequent with it.

And its really that for me 4.1-rc6 makes things much *worse*. I am
typing this after a clean reboot and already got the GPU hang again. It
happens about every few minutes. Are you really sure this is the same
GPU hang? I didnĀ“t have this before 4.1 kernel?

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  [regression] 3.5.0-26-generic and  3.2.0-39-generic GPU hangs on
  Sandybridge