My system does not seem to like the nvidia driver (I went with
nvidia-340). The display looked like crap, even after working with
nvidia-settings. This has happened before; I think 173 may have been the
last driver that worked well for me. I back to nouveau and the older
versions of xserver-xorg-core and xserver-common. There's something
about my onboard video/monitor combination that often seems to exhibit
problems, even with the nouveau driver (although nouveau seems to be
working properly for me now). FWIW, Fedora Rawhide displays properly for
me with xorg-x11-server-common-1.17.1-14.fc23.x86_64, xorg-x11-server-
Xorg-1.17.1-14.fc23.x86_64, and xorg-x11-drv-
nouveau-1.0.11-3.fc23.x86_64

  Random text characters partially or completely missing