Update. Some improvement with the latest update (but also a regression!).
With the last update, I'm able to boot the system using directly the efi stub
and now, Xorg CAN detect the graphic card. There's no error in Xorg.0.log. But
the problem now is that I get a blank/black screen all the same, even if
booting through GRUB.
The system starts, the kernel splash appears and, after a few seconds the
screen goes black.
If I hit alt-F1 nothing happens. Hit alt-F7, the screen flashes but gets black
again. Now I re-hit alt-F1 and I see a text console saying:
"Welcome to emergency mode. Type sysctl reboot to reboot, sysctl default or ^D
to try to start default mode"
If I now hit ^D the screen turns black again and the system freezes.

  X fails to automatically detect ATI radeon RV600 card