I updated to A04 and it did not make a difference.

$ sudo dmidecode -s bios-version && sudo dmidecode -s bios-release-date
A04
05/15/2015

Furthermore, I tried on 4.0 and 4.1 kernels (keeping the 15.04
userspace) and this also made no difference.

You asked to specify what happened with A04, it is the same as the
monitor which I use in non-mirrored mode as two different screens. If
the screen locks and suspends (simply locking is not enough) if I tap a
key/move the mouse/etc the laptop screen comes up and the external
monitor flashes on, but then the external monitor goes blank (but I can
see its backlight is on). If I login, the desktop seems to think it is
off and all of open windows are rearranged (it even puts some on
different workspaces)."

** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

  after screenlock and screen suspend, external display port monitor
  doesn't resume properly