I have the same problem on Asus X73B with Linux Mint 17.1, Did another
fresh install and the problem is still there. When having lock screen
with screen saver, cursor is visible, but when I resume without it - no
cursor. Also it happens only when closing lid, not when suspending
manually.

The laptop is for elderly, not technical person so any lock screens with
passwords or other workarounds are not solution for me. The only way to
avoid it at this point is to set computer to do nothing when lid closes.
The same effect is with unistalling power management. Tried gnome power
manager but after install I saw no settings for it and I couldn't find
it in start menu and the whole package seemed to be not there, although
in program manager it showed as "installed". Anyway, I didn't found a
viable solution.

It's a serious bug, a show stopper for laptop users and it affects all
ubuntu family systems.

  [Lenovo ThinkPad X230] Invisible cursor after resume from suspend