When this happens, any of these may happen:

A) I force-power-off the computer, try to boot again in the exact same
conditions (not plugging/unplugging AC power nor mouse nor external
screen), and at the next attempt most of the times it boots normally

B) I do the same as A, but retry for six-seven times and it NEVER
completes boot. So, I disconnect the external screen if it was
connected, or connect it if it wasn't, and then at the next attempt it
works. It may be random, but the odds don't seem high.

  System randomly won't complete boot