I have the same problem and I always thought it was the NVIDIA drivers
themselves.

Tried all the newer versions from "xorg-edgers", as well as the latest
upstream Linux kernels (4.x+) and none of it helped.

Finally came across the NVIDIA devtalk post linked in the description of
this bug report and then found this bug report itself.

The workaround mentioned by Rene works for me.

I want to help fix this, but I have no idea where to start.
So I'm just going to start with the X.org dev patch that Aaron made and maybe
get in contact with him.

  Cannot login with Nvidia Optimus hardware installed(Ubuntu 15.04)