Things were working for me [after a very long fight - so complex I don't
even know what worked] in 12.04.5 until some weeks ago. Something
changed and now I can't get fglrx to work or to install/reinstall. What
is the situation with 12.04.5? Many of the 'It worked' above remarks
fail to mention which, and I assume it is always 14.04.2 I'm very
frustrated having been unable to use my OS for many weeks now [again].
What recently changed that could have caused the problem anew or new
problem? Short of removing the stack [don't know how and don't really
want to] how can I get fgrlx-updates or any fglrx on 12.04.5 I have a
MSI Radeon HD.7970. Will any new AMD driver work?

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  apt-get fails to install fglrx or fglrx-updates in 14.04.2 and 12.04.5