I am running Ubuntu 9.04 2.6.28-15-generic 32 bit on a Lenovo ThinkPad T500.
I have set the BIOS to always use ATI graphics and lspci reports:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon
HD 3650

The standard drivers make any 3D program unusable, but enabling the
ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver in turn makes the DVBT
function of kaffeine unusable.

I previous attempts the whole system crashed or the X-server screen got
unusable (blank with some random gibberish on it) and unresponsible so
that only power-off/power-on worked. In my latest attempt with all
updates installed as of 2009-09-20, the DVBT function of xine does not
show the TV correctly. The picture flickers and shows a constant
greenish shadow image in the lower half of the window. After a while the
X-Screen showed a random pattern with a small random-pattern square as
the mouse pointer. I had to power-off/power-on to make the system usable
again.

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

--
Enabling AMD proprietary FGLRX driver makes kaffeine DVBT player unusable
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/433508