I run Jaunty 64bit with backports with desktop effects enabled.
Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller with
Option "AccelMethod" "uxa" (the default configuration caused snow
and other screen-noise). It works smoothly now.
I have lockscreen and switch user disabled.
There is a logout button on toolbar from "add to panel".

When I click the logout button, both logout and switch user appear in the menu
(I have the other power management options like suspend and hibernate and reboot
and shutdown disabled, and they are not in the menu, as we want it in the
computer lab).
I'd rather not have switch user there either. It is disabled but stays on the
menu.

When I click switch user X freezes, the screen blanks, I cannot
even switch to a terminal.

I can ssh in and restart gdm.

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

** Tags: needs-reassignment
--
switch user button freezes X
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bugs/412992