This part from my comment on 2009-09-10 is still valid:
I ran xrandr --output VGA1 --off and strange thing happened. After clicking on
KDE menu it popped up, but some 150 pixels to high and wasn't all drawn. I ran
terminal program and my input wasn't shown until I moved it's wobbly window.
Also top 150 pixels of screen wasn't usable.

So: wobbly windows movement -> whole screen redraw shows my typed input
      menu is to high and top of the screen not refreshing -> some coordinates
messed up

I managed to fix this situation by:
xrandr --output LVDS1 --off
yes it left me with no display at the moment
and then xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto
and all was back to normal.

It happened when I got my notebook from work to home.
At work: LVDS1 + VGA1 then suspended and disconnected notebook from external
monitor (in that order)
At home: wake up. X still uses screen size of 2 monitors. I tried to turn off
VGA1 (xrandr --output VGA1 --off) and then situation described above occurs.

** Changed in: mesa (Ubuntu)

--
gl screensaver freeze mesa 7.6.0~git20090817.7c422387-0ubuntu2
which is subscribed to mesa in ubuntu.