I get similarly broken behaviour using Unity8 on nouveau:
    nouveau: kernel rejected pushbuf: Device or resource busy
And worse messages appear in the dmesg kernel log. So nouveau is very broken.
Nothing new there.

I do find it works better using Xmir -sw. Both geany and firefox start
and are visible. However resizing the root window is indeed very buggy
with "random pixels". Those random pixels are not specific to nouveau
though as you get the same issue with intel graphics.

So you've actually found three separate bugs here and we need to break this one
up:
  * Confirmed: nouveau is very unstable, freezes the screen and hangs the
system.
  * Confirmed: resizing the root window in Xmir is very buggy -> bug 1417541
  * Unconfirmed: black window (my system usually hangs completely instead)

** Changed in: mir

** Changed in: mir (Ubuntu)

  [nouveau] xmir black window (mesa 11.0.0) and/or freezing and kernel
  errors